Think about the traditional male role in a relationship for a moment…
Forget the politically correct and the getting in touch with your feminine side, like we’re apparently supposed to do to be a modern man of today, and think about what we are genetically predisposed to do. As men, we’re the hunter-gatherers, the providers and the caretakers of our wives, partners, and family. And today to do that we need to take care of our careers and work, so we can provide more and take even better care of them. When you think about it the lives of men are pretty selfless because we always put others ahead of ourselves.
It’s great to do it, we want to do it, it gives us a sense of purpose, but it’s just as important to take care of ourselves, so you don’t burn out and lose the lot. It happens more often than you think, here’s a couple of stats for you to get your head around *suicide is the biggest cause of death for men under 35 and **depression is one of the most commonly diagnosed mental disorders among men in the US. Pretty grim reading, right.
So, it’s absolutely vital that we take care of ourselves both physically, with a good diet and exercise regime, and mentally so we have the mental toughness to withstand what life throws at us.
So let’s get all pink and fluffy, here are 20 self care tips to help keep you strong and resilient.
- If it feels wrong, don’t do it!
- Say exactly what you mean.
- If you say you’re going to do it, do it.
- Don’t be a people pleaser.
- Trust your instincts, they’ll serve you well.
- Never put yourself down.
- Never give up on your dreams.
- Don’t be a “Yes” man, sometimes it’s good to say no.
- It’s also okay to say yes too.
- Stop worrying about things – If there’s something you can do about it, there’s no need to worry. If there isn’t, you can’t worry – just let it go.
- Stay away from drama and negativity.
- Love – Yes, I mean LOVE!!
- Pay yourself first – Treat yourself with a small gift every month, reward yourself for being a good guy.
- Take care of your gut. You are what you eat, so eat well.
- Cut down on alcohol. Drinking can cause memory loss, or even worse, memory loss.
- Delete your social media accounts.
- Listen more, talk less.
- Remember you’re a work in progress.
- A change is as good as a rest. Take a trip to recharge your batteries.
- Don’t grow up. It’s a trap!!
You need to take the time to make yourself a priority. Me-time is just as important as their-time, and don’t feel guilty about taking it. If you practice these self care tips you’ll be a better, more productive, healthier, attractive and capable man.